Monday 23 January 2017

Rakhee Patel Shares Why Advocacy Is “A Valuable Contribution To Society”


By Rakhee Patel Twitter icon @RakheeHeadShave

I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease at a very early age; 11-years-old to be precise. Since then I have been on a rollercoaster in terms of severity of symptoms and quality of life and this all while continuing with my college education. Just before the final year of my degree, I had a major flare and anything I tried to do to improve my health proved ineffective. I had exhausted all options in terms of drug treatment and with a narrow stricture in my colon, my only option was surgery.

rp-graduation-540x500
Rakhee Patel at graduation

In October, 2013 I had a reversible loop-ileostomy formed.


I named my stoma Richard Parker after the tiger from ‘Life of Pi’ because Richard Parker was necessary for survival and his presence was temporary. I adjusted to having an ileostomy pretty quickly – I only had a stoma nurse show me how to tend to it one time and that was it! Although I recovered from my operation extremely well, it soon became apparent that this surgery was not enough for my body to shift into healing mode.

The symptoms of Crohn’s continued to worsen, and I was begging the surgeon to remove my whole colon to make my ileostomy permanent. And in November, 2015 that’s exactly what he did. At this point, I was weak emotionally, mentally and physically so recovery was slow and difficult. However, I can say that this surgery was worth it. Although I’m not symptom-free, I feel so much better than I’ve done in a long time! Honestly, I can’t even remember ever feeling this good. And my stoma? Most of the time I forget it’s even there, and in case you were wondering this one has remained nameless.

I pay a lot of attention to my mental health.

Controlling your mind while experiencing serious illness is no small task, but I certainly am learning. I am not ashamed to say I have seen three different counselors over the past couple of years all of whom have helped me in different ways. It took some much needed guidance from a few wonderful mentors, lots of self-study and regular meditation for me to finally reach a stage where I have learned (at least partially) how to control my emotions.

untitled-design-copy
Photo by Fotograf Dorte Kjaerulff

I decided to shave my head to raise awareness.

In June, 2014 I organized a private fundraising event called Rakhee Is Shaving Her Head, in aid of Crohn’s & Colitis UK. It was a huge success and we raised thousands of dollars for a truly great cause, but this was not my main reason for shaving my head. I wanted to be heard. I also wanted to prove to myself that despite being ill, I could still make a valuable contribution to society.

I am proud to share my experience of living with a chronic illness and ostomy to show others with similar conditions that you can be completely open about such invisible issues and still be socially accepted.

Rakhee Patel with shaved head
Rakhee Patel

Rakhee is 25-years-old and lives in the United Kingdom. She is a writer for the SecuriCare Blog.

Source - OSTOMYCONNECTION

No comments:

Post a Comment